ALERT: Your Antivirus May Be Letting You Down
The best way You can avoid a computer virus is by using common sense, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be safe from attack. Even if you are the most careful user, you can find yourself infected in an instant and spreading the virus faster than a sneeze in flu season. Hence you need antivirus software on your laptop/your computer.
But should you choose free or paid antivirus?
- Advertising: Much like a free app making its fortune with in-app purchases, the free antivirus software will push for payment from you. Popup boxes will pester you into signing up to the paid version at least daily. Some free options will also try to change your browser home page and default search engine, an inconvenience you or your business may be stuck with.
- Effectiveness: It’s fair to expect your antivirus to detect malware. Free and paid are about equal at catching known infections. And therein lies the kicker: generally speaking, free anti-virus needs to have recorded a virus to your library before it can detect it.
- Features:. Free anti-virus options are created from the paid version. Taking out everything except the bare minimum. In your paid version, you can expect advanced features on your laptop/ your computer like spam filters, firewalls, parental controls and secure web browsing.
- Support: Free anti-virus options are the most popular choice because they’e free. This also means there’s generally no support to you available. If there’s a problem or conflict with another program, you may find yourself without protection until it’s resolved. Paid anti-virus options usually include telephone support, ready to help you with problems ranging from installation to system diagnostics.
- Ease of use: Depending on what you use your computer for, this may be an important concern. Free antivirus options are easy for you to install and use. They come as-is, meaning you can’t pick and choose what it monitors or how it reacts.
Free anti-virus is fine for very basic protection, those on a budget or those with an older PC. In these cases, something is always better than nothing. We recommend you go with a paid antivirus to defend you from the new attacks that are released. These will make a difference to your digital safety.
Talk to us at 0137532874 about upgrading your antivirus to a paid anti-virus.